Monday, January 19, 2015

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Adapted from Pioneer Woman's recipe:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/11/broccoli-cheese-soup/

Ingredients:

1 stick of butter
1 onion, diced small
1/3 cup flour
milk
broth or water and bouillon
broccoli (mine was pre-cut but I think it was probably around 4 heads, cut into florets)
a pinch of nutmeg
grated cheese (cheddar and colby jack are what I used)
salt
pepper

In a large pot, melt the butter and saute the onion until it's translucent. Add the flour to make a roux. Let it cook a little and then add milk. I wasn't measuring but probably added 1.5-2 cups. Add the broccoli and then add some broth or water/bouillon cubes - enough liquid to cover the broccoli. When I am determining how much bouillon to add, I always add one extra. Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper (the nutmeg and pepper deepen the flavor considerably). Let the broccoli cook for around 20 minutes, until it's soft. Then add cheese. I think I added around 2 cups, until it looked right. Stir until it's melted and then serve! I mashed up some of the broccoli with a whisk but you don't need to do that.

This one turned out just as good as Panera (the rave reviews were that it's better).

No comments:

Post a Comment